DIYHiFi.org

For the sake of audio
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:23 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:19 pm 
Sheep

...and last (#11) but not least, ladies and gents, is "Class-D Audio: The Power and the Glory
A quiet revolution is transforming audio electronics"
http://spectrum.ieee.org/static/special ... the-decade

Jocko, how did you buy off the hallowed halls of IEEE? Oh, I get it ... rich uncle bought the farm, and you hocked it for its land-value to some GMO soybean cropsharer. Then used loot to line IEEE pocketbooks. Hey, ya gotta do what ya gotta do in this killer econ, n'est pas?

But hey ... don't get too comfy 'cause they picked weird Top 11 (that's eee-lev-in), not the more common and memorable Letterman-style "Top 10". And Class-D Audio sank to the bottom. The bribe didn't really work, and the eee-boyz gots yer dough, dude!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:01 pm 
Benjamin

What the hell do I have to do, with any of this? Other than spend 4 lousy years, at some university, that I hated, learning nothing, other than why we all needed to join the IEEE. (The reason why: one of the most ardent profs, that shilled for them, eventually got elected president, of said useless organization.)

Know what, bub............sounds to me that you are still having a fit, with Michigan, and Michigan State, both getting their @$$ kicked, by two hick colleges, from the South. (Neither of which I went to.)

Leave me out of your childish rants. You aren't as funny as I am, so get over it.

Jocko

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:45 pm 
Dog

audiosteve's post is somewhat obscure to my non-native english.
But one thing is for certain, if you guys don't behave there's always the possibility that the thread gets locked.
N'est pas?
Comprendrez?

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:07 pm 
Benjamin

He is implying a relative died, left me some money, and I used the money to............uh........I think bribe the IEEE. (To what purpose, only he knows.)

David Letterman has a lame "Top Ten reasons................" every night, on his show. Being #11 is supposed to be an insult.

Like I said, how any of this applies to me, is mind boggling. I suggest you aim your instructions his way, as he is the one who pooped on us.

Jocko

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:46 am 
Sheep

Jocko Homo wrote:
Being #11 is supposed to be an insult.
Yeah, that's the implication I got from the IEEE article. Dunno why they would trash audio like that except as some sort of political ploy?? ... or maybe they had to throw in something pure n' innocent as this 'cause the other items on the list are high-$ or sensational/nationalistic (e.g. #7 Drone Aircraft) ... uh, politics.
Quote:
Other than spend 4 lousy years, at some university, that I hated, learning nothing, other than why we all needed to join the IEEE. (The reason why: one of the most ardent profs, that shilled for them, eventually got elected president, of said useless organization.)
Partly agree .... Univ. education is what you make of it. IMO, the best parts of Uni's -- the parts that have really evolved -- are standardization of syllabuses and quality/depth of textbooks. Most MIT class lectures (streaming AV) have been online since 1999, so if you don't want a hang-on-your-wall diploma, you can "go to MIT" for free.
Worst part of uni's: rapid-learn (= absorb/retain little) curriculum. With the sheer volume of ever-increasing knowledge, how can a BSEE 2011 be equivalent/compared to a BSEE 1951? I mean, our brains didn't evolve that much in 60 years. Too much is compressed into 4 years, and many resort to rote memorization and test-passing strategies rather than genuine problem-solving. Hopefully, textbooks will all be Kindled and ebooked soon... Or use the "i-glass PCs" to put a network (or augmented reality) within easy "reach".

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:54 am 
Goat

There's still one salvation in modern engineering education: co-op.

When I did my B.Eng, I did a 5-year co-op program. 8 four-month terms of study, mixed with 6 terms of work in the workplace. Gotta say, I learned just as much in the workplace as I did in the classroom, and things in the classroom got a whole lot more interesting when I started learning what those things were good for.

And I've been involved in hiring other engineers at my workplace, and I find that those that do co-op programs are much more more ready for the real world. More experience doing real engineering work right off the bat, far more confident, closer to figuring out what sort of work they're interested in, etc.