DIYHiFi.org

For the sake of audio
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:17 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:04 pm 
Cow

CG wrote:
2SK214??[...]

Typo i think.
Schematic says 2SK246, which is a JFET and would be in line with the symbol used.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:59 pm 
Muriel

Hi,

zinsula wrote:
CG wrote:
2SK214??[...]
Typo i think.
Schematic says 2SK246, which is a JFET and would be in line with the symbol used.

An earlier version showed 2SK214/2SJ77 as driver for the Bipolars. These have these levels of capacitance (2Sk214 = 90pF Ciss).

For the 2SK246 in the Compound pair it goes like this.

Crss = 2.5pF
Ciss = 9.0pF

The 2SK246 has a gain of 2, so it's reverse transfer capacitance (Crss) is doubled to 5pF. The input capacitance (Ciss) is bootstrapped a lot, so it basically disappears.

As for operating at zero tempco, in a compound pair the bias/current is dominated by the first device.

So if this device has a zero Tempco operating point (Fet's and J-Fets have a variable tempco with current, BJT's have a constant tempco) any temperature related changes are minimised (in theory cancelled). As we also reduce the absolute current and thus dissipation to 20% of just using a single device any changes due to changes in dissipation with signal.

If the input devices parameters change with temperature (which they do for BJT's) we have an error that remains outside the global feedback loop and cannot be improved using global feedback. This can be improved by heavy degeneration, compound pairs, cascoding and operating the device that dominates at zero tempco. You may observe my proposed design uses all these measures in quite some measure...

Ciao T

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:58 pm 
Hen

If the 2sk214 has a gain of 2, shouldn't cgd be tripled?

Too bad the input impedance of a bjt driver stage is in the single to double kohm range. Otherwise, you could do a npn-pnp compound pair to substitute for a hard-to-get and expensive 2sk214/2sj77 and still do your selective local feedback thingy.....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:14 am 
Muriel

Hi,

rlim701 wrote:
If the 2sk214 has a gain of 2, shouldn't cgd be tripled?

The 2SK214 in the Driver stage has a gain of slightly below 1.

The gain of around 2 happens in the input stage where there is a 2SK246 & 2SA970 compound pair.

rlim701 wrote:
Too bad the input impedance of a bjt driver stage is in the single to double kohm range. Otherwise, you could do a npn-pnp compound pair to substitute for a hard-to-get and expensive 2sk214/2sj77 and still do your selective local feedback thingy.....

The latest version changed to 2SK1056/2SJ162 (or Exicon etc.) Mosfets as drivers.

I would recommend only some form of lateral mosfets as drivers.

They have several distinct advantages over other options. Their capacitance varies very little with signal (unlike vertical Fets) and is quite low, plus their input impedance is almost purely dominated by the capacitance. At the same time they are very fast, so they do not add appreciable phase-shift of their own to the output stage, making the circuit by far more stable, especially if compared to a EF3 circuit.

Their downside is a poor linearity with speaker loads and relatively high output impedance, which are very much mitigated against in use as drivers (as compared to use as output devices).

Ciao T

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:08 pm 
Sheep

:grin: my second Goldmund Mimesis 9.2 clone amplifier it's ready and play music wery well , I do not need to much theoretical stuff ......

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:16 pm 
Hen

Hi T,
How did you analyze the shunt regulator? Did you attach a load R where R is the regulated voltage divided by whatever current your load needs?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:21 am 
Muriel

Hi,

rlim701 wrote:
How did you analyze the shunt regulator? Did you attach a load R where R is the regulated voltage divided by whatever current your load needs?

I used the nominal load as current sink (because the AC impedance of the circuit it will feed will be quite high and used the various build in instruments in Tina Ti which includes a resistance meter that also works AC.

Independently I analysed the Circuit using Pen & Paper and the transistor etc. Datasheets, which is how I got the ten fold excessive optimism of the simulator re. output impedance, compared to my calculations

Ciao T

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:10 am 
Goat

Kuei Yang Wang wrote:
The front-end regulation uses a pair of 317/337 as CCS (and with a circuit that does not have the circuit flaw that caused the 337 CCS in Walt Jung's test to have very poor HF behaviour)
I take it that the cap from output pin to gnd will improve the 317 ccs as well? I have not measured it but I have an excellent sonic result with this simple 317 ccs (with Thorsten´s suggested cap). It is used before a shunt regulator powering a balanced common gate I/V stage, single supply. Thanks Thorsten for the ccs tidbit.
Attachment:
lm317 ccs.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:18 pm 
Hen

What cap value?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:08 pm 
Goat

As I recall the value was 10uF 100V on Thorsten´s schematic. I used 100uF 50V with a 3.5mm lead spacing as this is important for the HF impedance of the cap.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:54 pm 
Hen

alexandre wrote:
As I recall the value was 10uF 100V on Thorsten´s schematic. I used 100uF 50V with a 3.5mm lead spacing as this is important for the HF impedance of the cap.

Which schematic?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:20 am 
Goat

I can now hear big differences in sound with different regulators and bypasses in my open-loop I/V converter. This point of the audio chain presents an opportunity to tune the sound to my liking and the changes are even more evident than tweaks in the power amp (which is high feedback).
Changing one bypass cap can make or break the sound. This may be obvious to most here but I wasn´t fully convinced of it until now. I had two small Lelon electrolytics where the rubber was bulging. The sound was fine but the rubber was stuffed because of the anti-corrosive spray that I recently used. I changed them to equivalent Epcos units and I wanted it to be an improvement but it just wasn´t. I have "measured" this in medium term listening satisfaction rather than first impression. It went on from there and I have tried a few different regs and bypasses. TL431 from TI is clearly better than onsemi (both at unity gain for AC). Again I wanted the onsemi part to be better (someone mentioned lower noise over at DIYA). Now I am listening to this discrete shunt built from whatever parts I could find in my drawer. Is motorola MJE340 any good?
Posted here because it is based on Thorsten´s shunt reg from this thread. V1 is BC548 connected as zener - emitter is positive, base is negative. I1 is the CCS from this thread and I2 is the load, the open loop I/V (single supply).
Attachment:
shunt sch.png

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:25 am 
Goat

Attachment:
shunt ac.png

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:04 pm 
God

You have entered the point of no return zone.

keep at it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:10 pm 
Goat

Thanks Mike, point of no return indeed!
Now that I have some perspective I can say those Lelon caps sounded really nice. I would describe them as having natural and fluid human voices. Spoken word sounded great and was easy to follow. Excellent depth of field too. I gotta procure more.
Out of curiosity I will measure |Z| and phase angle of some electrolytics at 10Hz, 100, 1K, 10K, 100K.
Anything on your bench Mike? And where is everybody?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next