DIYHiFi.org

For the sake of audio
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:15 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 421 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:18 am 
Benjamin

Quote:
This is for Roy Estrada, wherever he is:
Wanna, wanna enema.

Guilty of hot soapy water in the first degree.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:00 pm 
Sheep

Kuei Yang Wang wrote:
Hi,

Jocko Homo wrote:
Quote:
Guido Tent has a clock business,

Guido makes a living as lecturer at a University. Seems selling clocks pays worse than teaching.

Well, Mr.T does what he does when it comes to Phools...

Ciao T

University pays well, but hit is not the majority of my income, I am a part time lecturer. Grimm Audio and Tentlabs pay the bills.

best

Guido

Guido

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:21 pm 
Benjamin

Well, some genius, over at The Pub, posted this:

Quote:
I still am not convinced that the close in phase noise is a significant culprit for audio performance.

I'm convinced you are a vastly-overrated blowhard. Stick to designing amps, or preamps, or whatever it is that you are supposed to be good at.

There, I said it. Deal with it.

And anyone who wants to debate me about this subject, blow it out your @$$. I am tired of trying to educate you people. Only to be mocked and ridiculed by people who have no idea what they are talking about.

Oh, and one minor point.................

You can run an SC-cut, without an oven. It will not affect close-in noise. Don't tell me otherwise, because I know it can be done.

Granted, it may not be the best way to do things. Just don't tell me that it can't work.

OK, maybe for the applications that it is intended for...............................

(Which is to say something other than audio.)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:04 pm 
Benjamin

"Gee, Jocko, you sound kinda mad today. What gives?"

Well, when a certain person, on more than one occasion makes comments like "we don't know who this guy is" and "how do we know his measurements are any good", wouldn't you take exception?

First, it doesn't matter who I am. No, I have not appeared in any "peer-reviewed journals", because I have no use, or faith in, peer-reviewed journals. So, if the only reason one should take what I say seriously is because I engage in mental masturbation, in some academic wanking society, well, that is your problem, not mine.

Second, if you want to doubt my measurements, fine. Go screw yourself.

But if you want to slag my measurements, then what about the ones for that clock the other DIYers are all falling for? Where are its measurements? And how do we know they are legit?

So, tell your buddies (even if they are not really your buddies) to put up ALL of their measurements, for ALL of their crap, in a manner that EVERYONE can see them.

I have. (And then you slag them, because you have.) Put theirs up. Let's see how great their crap is.

Then we can have an honest debate. My guess is they won't, or will hide them from plain view. ("We can't let that guy on here................he is crazy!")

There, I said that, too. Deal with it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:20 pm 
Sheep

Jocko Homo wrote:

Quote:
I still am not convinced that the close in phase noise is a significant culprit for audio performance.

I'm convinced you are a vastly-overrated blowhard. Stick to designing amps, or preamps, or whatever it is that you are supposed to be good at.

And anyone who wants to debate me about this subject, blow it out your @$$. I am tired of trying to educate you people. Only to be mocked and ridiculed by people who have no idea what they are talking about.

You can run an SC-cut, without an oven. It will not affect close-in noise. Don't tell me otherwise, because I know it can be done.
Granted, it may not be the best way to do things. Just don't tell me that it can't work.
OK, maybe for the applications that it is intended for...............................

Actually Jocko this was was subjectively verified over at the clock thread by one of the users turning off oven on sc-cut
and noticing no difference in sound.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital- ... ost5103400

There ya go! :)

T

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:46 pm 
Benjamin

See, I have absolutely no idea what I am doing................................

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:28 pm 
Sheep

TCD_333 wrote:
Jocko Homo wrote:

Quote:

Actually Jocko this was was subjectively verified over at the clock thread by one of the users turning off oven on sc-cut
and noticing no difference in sound.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital- ... ost5103400

There ya go! :)

T

statements without proof, all useless information as long as measured results are not published

Guido

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:26 pm 
Benjamin

I have TONS of measurements.

Cost you money, to see the good ones. Gotta make a living somehow.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:22 am 
Sheep

Jocko Homo wrote:
I have TONS of measurements.

Cost you money, to see the good ones. Gotta make a living somehow.

Yes. That distinguishes the pro's from the DIY community

Guido

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:50 am 
Cow

"subjectively verified "

F***ing for virginity. Your self-contradiction is even shorter.
But it works, as we see: "alternative facts".

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:54 am 
Cow

Jocko Homo wrote:

That's impossible not to note.
A grumpy version of JC, the whiny version is over there.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:58 pm 
Cow

gerhard wrote:

This most idiot comment i have read here since 2004 (by chance, as I leaved DIY fora and activities since a while) made me even log in to reply.

Btw, those two have delivered in their life, objectively verifiable (sic).

Hope you can say the same when looking back, you disrespectful creature.

Bye.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:55 pm 
Benjamin

gerhard wrote:
Jocko Homo wrote:

And what is this supposed to mean, ol' buddy? Care to elaborate?

Don't tell me you can not run an SC-cut, without an oven, because I know that you can. I know exactly what happens, and what does not happen. One thing that does not happen is that the close-in phase noise does not go to hell. (I also know "how it sounds", but that isn't something you can put in graph form. Everyone will just have to take that part on faith. Just like everything else, that is subjective, in audio. The measurements are not subjective, but I am not making them public. Sorry, but this is my only means of putting beans on the table.)

And, no, I am not going to give away all of my work, for free, to a bunch on whiny punks, who slag me, at every chance they get. If you don't want to believe me, that is your choice. Frankly, I am disappointed. But, that is your choice. So, don't project your prejudices on me.

Why don't the guys who think they know more than I do make their measurements public? It isn't how they make a living, so why not? What are they hiding?

(See how it sounds when it comes from me, and not some overrated consultant? All of a sudden, it is something horrible. Yet, "you guys" do it, all the time, and I am the problem? Give me a break.)

Mind you, I did not say "yeah, sure, it works great at 20° C", did I? No, I didn't. I did not specify what "room temperature" was or wasn't. Just that it can work without an oven.

Remember, this is for audio, not a megabuck radar system. You need to take that into consideration. Surely, that is not that hard to comprehend.

In addition, I have in my greasy hands, the proto run, of SC-cut crystals, that were specifically designed to work without an oven. Designed by one of the world's premier makers of crystals and oscillators. They did it, at the behest of someone (who I may consult for..............or not), with the intent "Hmmmm, that is an interesting idea................we'll make some, just to see if we can....and even if it doesn't work, we will learn something from it."

What a concept: let's try it, and even if we do not make money, we will learn something. Isn't that how "science" is supposed to work?

How good are they? Well, I know, down to the last detail. And no, I can not provide details, as there are these things called NDAs, and the like. Surely, that can not be that hard to comprehend, is it?

Are they trickier to get right, than a normal SC-cut? Maybe. Are there are some performance compromises? Maybe.

All I know is that someone asked for them, someone else made them for them, the parts are in production, and I assume the product they went in is on the market. (I have no idea, as any a role that I may have played is over, and as this works on a "need to know" basis, well, I have no need to know what they are doing, at this point.)

Anything else that you want to get off your chest? Let's hear it: I'm here.

Regrettably.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:33 pm 
Cow

what is pullability for thicker SC cuts?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:58 pm 
Benjamin

They really don't.

You would probably have better luck changing their frequency by running them at the wrong temperature! That slope is pretty steep. But, that would only work in one direction, so, no, not a good idea, either.

(Unless you cut them off-frequency, on purpose. But, I digress.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 421 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next