DIYHiFi.org

For the sake of audio
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:55 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:26 am 
Goat

Had to open the mechanical timer and clean it, it surprised me that it actually worked after me disassembling and re-assembling the thing without being 100% sure about the position of the gears and "programs"...

Happy that the old workhorse machine still functions, I made a couple of mods that suit me. Sometimes it would not put enough water in, it would be too much soap and not enough water: so I put a push button that opens the water input regardless of state. Only while you press it.

Also cut the power supply to the door lock, so it would no longer stay locked for 3-5 min with me wanting to open it. You know, you always find stuff that you need to wash after you close the door and it´s already locked and putting in water. Had to short the door sensor so the machine thinks it´s always closed. I think I´m not dumb enough to open the front door with the water in. Let´s hope.

And made the decision to avoid centrifugation from now on, because I feel this is the real killer of the bearings and mechanical assembly. Cut the wires that go to centrifugation windings of the motor. No more centrifugation while this old machine still works.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:44 am 
Dog

Without centrifugation, the cloth is all wet.
You may have to reactivate it, your wife may not like it.
Otherwise, good tinkering around. :D

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:24 pm 
Goat

Thanks. No wife, no girlfriend at the moment.
It sucks a little bit, but the weather is usually sunny here and I really feel it will give me a few extra months of operation, minimum

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:47 pm 
Goat

Carlos, I now have a good idea how the "drum" is built, thanks to this very helpful video from portugal. My machine is not the same, but similar, actually easier to service than the one in the video because the rear assembly seems to be easily removable, without having to dismantle so much. So replacing the bearings becomes a possibility. From the slightly noisy and grainy operation I suspect there´s not much life left on mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ug4zjDzE2E

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:34 pm 
Goat

Why did bosch make their machine so complicated to service?

Thankfully mine is easier to work with, it is branded continental and build like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0_YE-k-Jys

At 1:30 you can see the rear assembly and the white metal ring and tightening screw that keeps it in place and seals the thing. The assembly is easily removable from the rear without having to dismantle anything else (other than removing the belt). How hard it is to pry out the bearings from the metal backplate and insert new ones into place is what is unknown to me. Suppose these bearings are welded to the backplate by time and corrosion, then the process becomes harder to do without damaging the metal backplate. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:24 am 
Benjamin

alexandre wrote:

Because they are German? (I think it comes with the territory.) (I hope Thorsten and Gerhard don't see this!) (If they do, I hope they get the joke.)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:03 am 
Dog

alexandre wrote:

In Japan they know how to make it easy.

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction." Albert Einstein