PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:39 am 
Muriel

Elso,

Elso Kwak wrote:
You, yourself reported it:
"I do think this entirely unwarranted..."
Your words, not mines quoted.
:finga:

Let me clarify. I did not write this post because you closed that thread, nor was it the only one to be closed.

Ciao T

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:47 am 
Board jester

Thorsten,
it clarifies nothing, only vague allegations.
Screenshot of moderators panel:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:04 pm 
Cow

Thorsten has a huge ego... That's what is unwarranted :D .

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:03 am 
Cow

Soo... it is a good two years after the last post and I've been hitting the 'View new posts' for a month now, with only my own showing up, can I thus conclude DIYHiFi.org is no more? Or has the refugee camp been relocated elsewhere? If so, I did not hitch a ride on the bus, so I'm left here stranded? No supplies, not even running water or a simple bunk-bed to catch some sleep on? Is there actually anyone still here? Hello?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:32 pm 
Admin

Now this is something what I'd like to know as well... should I close this thing down?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:47 pm 
Cow

roiibm wrote:
Now this is something what I'd like to know as well... should I close this thing down?

With the wealth of info in countless posts by engineers more competent than most, I sure hope not, at least here we don't have to wade through page after page of mindless audio-fool banter. What we could try to do though is send out a invite to all members to help with reviving DIYHiFi.org to its former glory? I'd be happy to start a few fresh, new projects here.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:49 pm 
Benjamin

It never had any projects. Some of us had no intentions of doing that, since we had jobs that involved "projects".

Then there were pests and parasites, who claim that we should have provided "projects", and blamed us for not providing any.

Irony alert: these same pests and parasites claimed they would help get the forum started, by providing some of their own.

Anyone remember seeing any of them? No, neither do I. All I remember is them kvetching.

(Sorry, but another "Hey, let's take this old Nelson Pass design, and stick some JFETs in it" thread is not a project.)

Asking folks who do this for a living to provide "projects" is really a day dream. We share our knowledge, and if that is not enough, well, tough.

You guys are the DIYers. How many of you have contributed a "project"? No one ever stopped you.

At least we didn't have any "group buy" fiascoes. I know at least one forum got smart, and realized it was an open invitation to fraud, deceit, and theft.

Yet, our fave "other place" has not learned that lesson yet.

Screw them, too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:26 am 
God

I have no desire to close the doors even if there isn't much happening here anymore. Doesn't hurt anyone, take much bandwidth, bother anybody, etc.

There is a lot to be learned yet by going through the pages. We do get more people joining so I'm assuming they are reading something.

IMO there is more here than in 10x the pages of stuff at the other place.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:10 pm 
Sheep

Some of us only ever contribute comparitively minor nonsense here, yet remain immensely grateful to the diversity and specificity of the many who have contributed its remarkably high S:N ratio.

Diyhifi is a valued resource to me - always better when you simply have to go away and try some thing yourself for the 'aha!' lightbulb to come on. Hey, even a dim bulb is better than darkness ;)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:15 pm 
Muriel

Hi,

Martin Clark wrote:
Hey, even a dim bulb is better than darkness ;)

I am getting very partial to strategic use of Edison lightbulbs. They don't give the most light per watt (opposite), but the quality of the light...

Here you go, we now officially have Class A lightbulbs (Edison) and Class D lightbulbs (Cold Cathode, LED).

Ciao T

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:28 pm 
Sheep

Oh don't get me started. I can bore for hours on colour rendering and what is often wrong with low-energy lighting (and yes, I agree with your ranking)

That said I have specced some extremely fine LED lights before now in healthcare projects - they are excellent in surgical uses, due to not cooking the patient or surgeon;s hands (1KW for halogen vs 125w for LED on the surgical field? no contest) but then, they ought to be: the good ones have adjustable red contrast controls, very-far-from-discontinuous spectra; and start around $30K per fitting...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:12 pm 
Muriel

Hi,

Martin Clark wrote:
Oh don't get me started. I can bore for hours on colour rendering and what is often wrong with low-energy lighting (and yes, I agree with your ranking)

I just know where the lightswitch is.

Ok, maybe some more.

But any girl looks twice as pretty in warm, soft light and way worse than she is under those cold cathode lamps (Cold Light).

LED's are hit and miss.

Immature tech and over time as the stuff in the coating that makes them "warm" wears out the do the opposite of stars in the universe, they blue-shift.

Martin Clark wrote:
That said I have specced some extremely fine LED lights before now in healthcare projects - they are excellent in surgical uses, due to not cooking the patient or surgeon;s hands (1KW for halogen vs 125w for LED on the surgical field? no contest) but then, they ought to be: the good ones have adjustable red contrast controls, very-far-from-discontinuous spectra; and start around $30K per fitting...

Almost all my lights at home are LED, "warm white" (Class D for efficiency and low cost, while giving passable light).

For illuminating my modern Art Repro's (Dali, Kandinsky etc. and used mainly with company) I still stick to halogen, plus at my home office desk.

My outdoor party space has those super yellow light Edison Lightbulb's (they look oldfashioned but are just fashion - heavy filaments run at low temp - look SO COOL), as has the floor lamp in the bedroom. They easily take a decade off a 35 Year old lassies face...

I did RGB LED's in my last place, very flexible, but too "disco".

So, Tubes and Class A for Audio and Edison Bulbs for light. I need to get a Edison Lamp powered Lava Lamp and a Galileo Thermometer next.

Well - what do you expect from the Grand Wizard of the Most Laudable and Ancient Noble Order of the Latter Day Luddites?

Ciao T

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:12 am 
Goat

Kuei Yang Wang wrote:

Well - what do you expect from the Grand Wizard of the Most Laudable and Ancient Noble Order of the Latter Day Luddites?

Ciao T

Spiritual home and Supreme HQ - The UK.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:19 am 
Cow

Kuei Yang Wang wrote:
But any girl looks twice as pretty in warm, soft light and way worse than she is under those cold cathode lamps (Cold Light).

In that case I guess you have your mission cut out for you Thorsten, as in all of my travels to Asia most restaurants, especially in Shenzhen, have an abundance of bright white fluorescent lighting strapped to the ceiling.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:58 am 
Muriel

Hi,

SSassen wrote:
In that case I guess you have your mission cut out for you Thorsten, as in all of my travels to Asia most restaurants, especially in Shenzhen, have an abundance of bright white fluorescent lighting strapped to the ceiling.

That is changing, many Bars are now hanging full of Edison Bulbs. That actually inspired me to buy some myself. Not colour accurate, mind, but very soft light and kool looking.

Ciao T