DIYHiFi.org

For the sake of audio
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:26 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:04 pm 
Muriel

Hi,

s3tup wrote:
Uh hm... Thanks for clarification, i'll keep myself open to some... may i call it voodoo unless i'll find more technical description of the stuff going on. :)

You should watch ALL episodes of a (BBC documentary) series called "The Day the Universe changed", but especially the final episode.

The issue between music, music recording, music playback and human hearing (which is arguably the key to all of these) and between electronic test gear and it's results is that we are dealing with two distinct and mostly non-overlapping magisteria.

Measurements are measurements and recorded music is recorded music and most of the time one tells you nothing whatsoever about the other.

Of course, this is NOT how it should be.

But it seems few people in audio make even the remotest attempts to create a greater overlap between these two magisteria (actually, your pal's back at the pub like Caledonii Pejorative, Villanus Iacobus, terreo sonus islamicus, frutex, silvaticus britannicus, Litoralis and homo gallico abiectus seem to think by just making ex cathedra claiming it is so and silencing dissidents they can make everyone believe that the two magisteria are identical when in fact they drive things further apart and try to remove the remaining vestigial overlaps).

But as I always say, I did not make this world, i'm just living here and trying to have fun.

And trust me - I am having fun.

My recommendation to you?

Don't believe me.

Don't disbelieve me.

Don't believe.

Know what you know, expand the limits of your knowledge and accept what you do not know (and do not pretend - to paraphrase the right dishonourable Mr. Rumsfeld - that unknown unknowns are in fact known knowns) and if it is in your field of interest, consider if you need the change the "do not know" condition (I frequently find this to be the case).

Or to quote the quintessential nowhere man, Jeremy Hillary Boob, PhD. pointed out: "Be empirical - look."

Ciao T

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:06 pm 
Muriel

Hi,

gmarsh wrote:
You should solder a couple RCAs onto some lamp cord and try it...

I did something like that before. Thank you but no thank you. If I need nightmares I'll just get a bad trip...

Ciao T

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:17 pm 
God

T
touche'